Tuesday, June 5, 2012

E3 - Day 1 Reactions

So, day one of E3 2012 is in the books.  That means we've seen two of the three big conferences.  Microsoft and Sony presented today, leaving only Nintendo for tomorrow (Tuesday).  As is my usual, annual tradition, allow me to run down the highlights and lowlights from day one as I saw them.

Microsoft
  • Halo 4 - A year after its announcement and, hey, it's still Halo.  When will folks acknowledge that other companies milk their franchises as much as, if not worse than, Nintendo does?
  • Splinter Cell Blacklist - I love a good stealth game.  What I don't love is when that stealth game feels the need to become a quasi-action, cover-based shooter with ultra violence.
  • Kinect/SmartGlass on Madden 13 - Calling the plays? um, I guess that's cool for the folks who are so in to Madden they know every play by name.  But what happens if your opponent yells out a crappy audible and then "hike"? hmmmm.  Drawing your own routes is nifty though.  Always felt that should be done more in football games.
  • The Kinect can recognize Spanish.  A quién le importa?
  • You can watch real sports and listen to music on your XBox .... just like on your computer! Except that one doesn't require a second subscription fee!
  • Black Ops 2 - Now blacker and opier than ever!!

Ubisoft
  • Watch_Dogs - Looks astounding.  If the protagonists are diverse in character and not just "tough guys" then I will definitely look in to getting this game one day.  Thank god someone (besides Nintendo) is looking to make games that are at least a little different.
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - I would absolutely get this game if it comes to a console I own.  The action looked fun and simple.  Did I mention fun?  Ya know... like how games should be!
  • Need For Speed: Most Wanted - Yup.  I'm interested in this one too.  Why? The idea of the entire game essentially being a leaderboard against my friends.  That is perfect for a genre of this type.
  • Rayman Legends - Wasn't crazy about the first one.  Not crazy about this one.  BUT! I know that everyone who isn't me loves these new Rayman games and the Wii U GamePad control looks like it will be really fun for two or more people!  Also, gotta give it up for the visuals.  Hand-drawn 2D is by far my favorite look. 
Sony
  • Beyond - I really have a soft spot for low-action plot-driven games.  I'll be keeping my eye on this one!
  • Sony All-Stars Battle Royale - Sony does what Ninten-already did.  Have they no shame?
  • Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation - Honestly? I think it looks better than the flagship AC3.  But, consider I'm the source, that's not saying a whole lot.  The female protagonist looks cool though.
  • Wonderbook - You wouldn't see anything if you look at the book itself.  The visuals are only on the TV.  So, why not just buy your child a video? Or, y'know, a game?  Also, I would love to see the firestorm if Nintendo tried to sell one of these things.  Yet, I'm sure mainstream gaming media has already begun forgetting it.  Meanwhile, the Nintendo vitality sensor still gets used as a punchline on a near-monthly basis.
  • The Last of Us - Was there an Ellen Paige sale in the video game voice actress department?  Ah well, at least both her games look pretty darn good!  Though, from the team that brought you Uncharted, I gotta say, without even thinking, my first thought when I saw the protagonist was "oh, another Uncharted game."  That's not very creative character design, folks!
~~~~~

OK.  That's all for day one.  Overall? Meh.  Ubisoft had, by far, the best conference, so, what does that tell you?  Microsoft was apparently trying to top Nintendo 2008 for the most embarrassing E3 ever and Sony only showed one game we weren't aware of before the day began, not to mention the Wonderbook debacle.

The bar is pretty low, in my opinion.  Let's hope Iwata, Reggie and Shiggy can clear it with their new tablet-y goodness!  See you in 11 hours!!

1 comment:

chrisbg99 said...

All I've got to Sony is "Where is The Last Guardian?"

Why must they torture me so?

And MS continues to bore the crap out of me year after year after year.